Lives Lived

  • 5 May 2021 2:52 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Bruce Carlson Gage was born January 8, 1957 to Ralph (deceased) and Betty Gage, touching down in the then quaint village known as Seattle, WA. At 64 he packed his spiritual belongings and departed for points unknown on Earth Day, April 22, 2021. He is survived by his loving wife Indra Finch, mother Betty, stepmother Dana, brother Tom (Sue), former wife Helen, son Alex (Inessa), daughter Lauren, and a bevy of cousins.
    Bruce enjoyed a myriad of sports, hobbies, and adventures, including mountaineering, skiing, kayaking, diving, gardening, creating music, and above all, sailing- a shared love passed down from his father. Bruce and Indra Finch raced their Tasar from 2003-2015.Given his eclectic interests it is no surprise he traveled the world with Indra from Uzbekistan to the South Seas. From his professional life as a forensic psychiatrist to his spiritual pursuits and lust for adventure, he crossed many folks' paths. Not shy to express his opinions or mince words, Bruce informed, humored, and challenged us; he was never dull.
    Bruce believed life should be set at a jogging pace sprinkled with frequent sustained sprints. In recent years, he may have slowed physically, but his quest for knowledge- musical, technical, professional, and spiritual only grew. Perhaps now he has begun his biggest adventure yet- may it be at a jogging pace…

    In lieu of flowers, please donate to a charity most meaningful to you.

    To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.

  • 4 May 2021 3:20 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Mark Orme was born on July 6th, 1962 to Myrna and William (Bill) Orme in Tacoma, Washing. He spent the early years of his childhood in Bellingham before he and his family eventually moved to Leone, American Samoa and later to Anchorage, Alaska.  After graduating from Dimond High School in 1980, he attended Western Washington University and the University of Chicago for graduate school. He then moved to Seattle to work as a chemist in the pharma/biotech industry, and met the love of his life, Stephanie Belgel-Orme.

    Mark loved and cared for his family above all.  He is survived by his wife, Stephanie, three daughters, Chenoa, Sara, and Tessa, and sister, Natasha.

    Mark was a passionate and dedicated scientist with a vision in pharmaceutical development.  He was a talented leader and brought an enthusiastic and creative approach to his work through his breath of experience.  He found nothing more rewarding than working with and mentoring other.

    Mark was a member of the Corinthian Yacht Club for many years, where he raced sailboats and made lifelong friendships. Through his daughters, Mark also developed a love of soccer. He volunteered as a coach for Ballard Youth Soccer and Seattle United. Mark enjoyed help young players grow, as well as bantering and developing relationships with the kids.

    Mark had a deep interest in pacific island culture that stemmed from his youth in Samoa. He enjoyed spending time on the North Shore of Oahu.  His heart’s desire was to spend more time on the island.

    Mark passed away peacefully at home with his family on after a courageous battle with cancer.  He will forever he in our hearts and memories; at Mokulela beach, sunglasses in hand, tide in the sand, with a smile on this face and a twinkle in his eye.

    Donations in memory of Mark can be made to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (

  • 21 Dec 2020 2:42 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    As 2020 draws to a close, let us reflect on some of our members who passed away during this past year.  Please click on their name for more information:

    1 John Fenton

    2 Stan Butchart Jr.

    3 Sandy Pratt

    4 Janet Footh

    5 Doug Fryer

    6 Carol Trusk

  • 16 Apr 2020 10:20 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Janet Barker Footh

    (Obituary published in The Seattle Times on April 12. [Click here] to read the full obituary.)

    Janet Barker Footh died March 31, 2020 in her home surrounded by family. Born in Seattle on May 25, 1932 to Stuart and Katherine Barker, Janet attended St. Nicholas and the University of Washington. Fond of social activities, she was a member of the Seattle Tennis Club, Sunset Club, and Seattle Garden Club to name a few.

    While aprs-skiing in White Pass, Janet met her future husband, Douglas Footh, and set the tone for a lifetime of adventures. They were married on February 26, 1958 in Palm Springs, so her brother, Stuart Barker Jr., on leave from the Navy could attend.

    Janet began her sailing career with Doug in their Blanchard Senior Knockabout, and both were very active CYC members for many years. She later won second place at the National Women's Sailing Championship in 1965 and skippered all women racing crews around Puget Sound in the 1970s. She spent decades of happy summers cruising on Norwester, their Kettenburg 50, in Desolation Sound with family and friends.

    Janet was an active member of the National Society of Colonial Dames and formed lasting friendships with her Kappa Kappa Gamma sisters. A trailblazer, she was a founding member of the women's masters rowing program coached by Dick Erickson known as Dick's Chicks. In addition, she started the women's rowing program at the Seattle Yacht Club where she continued to coxswain.

    A celebration of life will be held at a later date.

  • 13 Apr 2020 10:08 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Sandy Pratt Receiving Howard Ricketts Trophy (Sandy Pratt (L); John Rahn (R))by Wendy Hinman -- As the outbreak of COVID19 rages across our world, we are stunned by news reports of infection and death.  The devastating statistics become personal when we hear that someone we know has died from this highly contagious and deadly virus.

    Legendary Thunderbird sailor Sanders (Sandy) Pratt succumbed to COVID19 on March 26th. His longtime crewmember Laura Wagner broke the news to the fleet:

    “Prior to this Sandy had been doing great, healthy mentally and physically like he always was! The whole crew—Brian Flaherty, me, Dennis Counts, plus his wife Phyllis, and our son Kallen—saw Sandy for dinner at his new retirement condo in Issaquah last fall.  We met his wonderful partner, Marta, who he met after his wife Letha passed away in 2016.  Sandy seemed well and very happy in his new home!  Sandy will be missed by so many people.”

    He is survived by two children and four grandchildren. Sandy's daughter, Barbara, said that he was admitted to the hospital on Sunday the 22nd for the coronavirus. The cruelest part of COVID19 is that such a well-loved and respected man was forced to spend his last moments in isolation. 

    We take comfort in knowing that Sandy lived a long and happy life. This strapping man, who was 92 when he died, remained a fierce competitor on the race course to the age of 90. He was a stalwart racer, aggressively maneuvering for room on the starting line.  He’d been a member of Corinthian Yacht Club Seattle since 1957 and rarely missed a race. 

    Racing Falcon, Photo from Laura Wagner (racing from left to right: Brian Flaherty, Laura Wagner, Dennis Counts and skipper Sandy Pratt) My husband Garth Wilcox and I first met Sandy back in 1991 when we bought our T-bird, Atomic Salsa, and joined CYC. Since then we’ve raced against him and crewed for him. He was always a tough competitor, jovial on the dock, but all business when on the race course. After dispatching his competition, he was always eager to chat with beer in hand about the race. We could spend hours analyzing the race, tactics, strategy, and sail shape. He subscribed to lifelong learning and always sought to find ways to get more drive out of his boat. It was no surprise to us to learn that before retiring from Boeing Sandy had been involved in producing the wing of the 747. His engineering mind was ever tweaking his sails and messing with foil shape in pursuit of another knot of speed. He could ghost along in light air better than anyone.

    Falcon crew, Photo from Laura Wagner (Standing from left to right: Sandy Pratt, Laura Wagner, Dennis Counts and Brian Flaherty) Sandy was in his eighties when Garth and I left for our voyage around the Pacific. Seven years later when we returned he was still racing Falcon. We rejoined the fleet, racing on Kuma with Stuart Burnell in preparation for the International Championships at Whidbey Island Race Week. Sandy was still just as tough to beat then as ever. 

    Sandy raced into his nineties, only stopping because two of his regular crew had a baby and replacing half his crew proved frustrating. Laura Wagner raced with Dennis Counts and Sandy for 10 years. She met her husband Brian Flaherty aboard Sandy's boat. She said

    "I always thought Sandy would retire before us but instead we did!"

    A “spontaneous” Sandy Pratt Party ‘just for fun’ at CYC’s Leschi Clubhouse, photo from Dale Dunning (Note the prevalence of Sandy’s signature Oxford shirt) Sandy’s love of sailing started around the age of seven. He represented the Husky Sailing Club in 1949 at the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate Sailing Regatta at Berkeley, California in International 14s after he excelled in the qualifier races. In his 20’s Sandy raced a star boat My Sin, appropriately named for his passion.  After his wife Letha told him his Star wasn’t a good family boat, he chose a more family-friendly one-design that he deemed race worthy: the “Thunderbird.” The Thunderbird was designed by Ben Seaborn to help the American Plywood Association sell plywood to the backyard boat builder. Sandy finished wooden Thunderbird hull #711 from a bare hull in 1967 and named it LeBar. He won the Thunderbird International Championship in 1975, besting 75 boats in an intense competition. His hard-earned gold bird proudly adorned his mainsail ever afterward, marking LeBar and his next boat, a fiberglass T-bird he named Falcon (#1177), as a key boat to beat. Fleet member Roger Schip noted,

    “Watching him move through the T-bird fleet was like watching a Chess Master.”

    Never one to rest on his laurels, Sandy was always focused on the competition at hand, eking out every knot of speed he could. 

    A longtime Boeing engineer, Sandy oversaw the manufacture of Boeing 747 wings, fashioning new techniques and tools to overcome challenges in the early years of building this iconic aircraft.  He had an engineer's curiosity and quest for knowledge, constantly probing others to gain new insights and find ways to make his boat go faster.  He was especially good at ghosting along in light air and has schooled many sailors over the years.

    Sandy was a mentor and friend to so many over the decades and a stalwart on the race course. News of his passing prompted an outpouring of heartwarming messages and fond memories.

    Laura, who I also raced with aboard Stuart Burnell’s Tantivy, reminisced about sailing with Sandy:

    "Sandy barked at me a lot that first summer and after a week in Victoria for Internationals I thought for sure I'd quit at the end of the season. But, I loved Dennis and our crew Anthony Colfelt at the time and Sandy was so wonderful off the boat. He was all smiles, stories, and laughs. And he often apologized for yelling at me or at least cheered up 100 % once the race was over. I stayed on all summer as the pit person and by the 2nd season we had found our groove and the barking stopped." 

    “Brian and I got to the boat early every Wednesday to haul the boat over on its side with the spinnaker halyard. If anyone came down to Leschi on a Wednesday night they'd see us scrubbing the bottom of Falcon. Dennis often made it down in time after work to do 1 side! It became my job to make sure Sandy had his helmet on.  The 4 of us, Brian, Dennis, and Sandy and I had a great rhythm on the boat after so many years of sailing together. We probably had the quietest boat too. As others have said, Sandy didn't like too much chatter on the boat and if he took your advice on a tactic you should be honored! He was the skipper and the tactician. But, that made it peaceful and quiet and the three of us crew could just get into our rhythm and pull the sheets!  We each drank just 1 beer after every race, not during. This was such a tradition as we sailed in every Wednesday night that I had to hide my root beer or ginger beer label at the beginning of my pregnancy so they didn't suspect anything."

    Sandy liked to win and cursed costly blunders. Crewmember Anthony Colfelt noted,

    “There are many funny stories of crew members being sent downstairs to hug the mast on the floor to get the boat balanced just right, especially in light winds. But we generally enjoyed his intensity and competitive spirit.”

    Many joked about the brief explosions of fiery expletives he would bellow when everything went sideways, especially when he was training new crew. Tim Satre shared how Sandy barked at him for talking too much during a race,

    “I don’t need the news, Walter Cronkhite!” Yet his crews were quite loyal.  Dennis Counts raced with him for more than thirty years.

    Most everyone remembers Sandy’s jovial personality and hearty laugh and his willingness to teach.  He was the kind of skipper who always shared his knowledge and conclusions for achieving the best performance. Longtime fleet member Kemp Jones said,

    “Sandy taught me a lot about making a T-bird go fast when I was struggling to learn at the back of the fleet. He was an incredible gentleman, Jedi, and hero to me.”

    Adam Southerland concurred,

    “An amazing man, I will never forget the talks after Wednesday races down at Leschi; he kept us motivated and excited even after beating us.”

    Anthony Colfelt echoed the sentiment of many when he remarked,

    “Sandy was thoroughly decent. He looked out for people and offered his knowledge and assistance to all, generally lifting the caliber of the Fleet.”

    Dan Carey remembered,

    “He was a great sailor and a fine gentleman. He was fun to be around and to talk with. He always seemed to be smiling and having a good time. It was always nice to gather with him after sailing and discuss the race and other finer points of sailing and boat trim.”

    Ballard Sails sailmaker Alex Simanis said,

    “Sandy was a legend. I doubt anyone knew T-birds better than him. Sail on Sandy.”

    An announcement from Motor Boating Magazine in 1949 mentions Sandy Pratt and other CYC members. A few years ago, Sandy brought my husband Garth and I the band saw he and many others used during the heyday of building Thunderbirds in the 60s and 70s.  We have used it extensively since then and have made great progress, but are sorry Sandy will never see our finished boat. We have so many fond memories of him, jamming to Bob Marley as we worked on our boats, discussing sail shape and tactics. Ken Lane said, 

    “The T-bird flock has lost a loved member.”

    Beyond that, as Pam Schwartz summed up what many expressed,

    “He was an inspiration to us all.”

    It is too early to plan an official tribute to Sandy Pratt since gatherings are not yet sanctioned because of the risk of the Corona Virus.  Sandy was a great fighter and it took a global pandemic to bring him down. In his memory, let’s strive to minimize the number who join him. Stay safe everyone.

    Wendy Hinman is an adventurer, speaker, and the award-winning author of two books: Tightwads on the Loose tells the story of her 34,000-mile voyage aboard a 31-foot sailboat with her husband.  Sea Trials details the harrowing round-the-world voyage of a family who must overcome a shipwreck, gun boats, mines, thieves, pirates, scurvy and starvation to achieve their dream. For more information, please visit:

  • 24 Mar 2020 2:22 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Stanley Vint Butchart Jr.
    2/26/1926 – 3/20/2020

    Stanley Butchart, of Burien Washington, passed peacefully Friday afternoon at the age of 94 surrounded by family in his home following a long battle with pancreatic cancer and congestive heart failure. Born in Prosser Washington and named after his father, he grew up doing farm chores, spent time in Seattle and Kirkland during his early years and graduated from Kittitas High School. He developed a passion for the out of doors. He served in the Army medical corps during the Korean conflict, stationed in Germany. He owned and operated the Swuak Ski Bowl on Blewett Pass, was a mountain climber, avid hiker, member Mountain Rescue Council, sailor, boat builder, racer, race committee volunteer, gardener (famous for corn and tomatoes), square dancer and downhill skier, father, grandfather and great-grand-father.

    He married Joyce Hitt in June of 1954 and they celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary in 2019. He worked at the Boeing Company for 39 years, and enjoyed trying to clarify and fully understand aerodynamics and how aircraft fly. Affectionately known as “Grumpy” to his family, he will be missed by family and friends. He is survived by his wife, Joyce Butchart, two married sons, Richard & Denece Butchart and Larry & Janet Butchart, 7 grandchildren, and 18 great-grand-children.

    In lieu of flowers, the family requests you donate to one of the following:

    Washington Trails Association
    705 Second Ave, Suite 300
    Seattle, WA 98104 

    Providence Hospice of Seattle Foundation
    2811 S 102nd Street, Suite 220
    Tukwilla, WA 98168

  • 4 Aug 2015 2:17 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    The Wise family, special friends and the Seattle sailing and boating community gathered at Corinthian Yacht Club in Seattle Thursday, August 6th to celebrate the life of Philip Wise, who died this past Monday after a sudden stroke. He was 52. Philip is survived by his siblings Mike, Perry, Peter, Jim, Lisa, and Mara; by his special friend Cath Picha; and, by the entire Seattle sailing and boating community where he played, worked, and reveled over the past two decades.

    Prior to coming to Seattle, Philip was never far from the water. He found his love for sailing as a teenager in Rochester, Illinois where he began crewing on a Thistle. He later completely refurbished a Star boat and successfully raced it for many years. Phil was also one of the original group of sailors who began sailboarding on Lake Springfield. Following his graduation from Illinois State University, Phil traveled to Stuart, FL, where he attended the Chapman Marine School and earned his Coast Guard Pilot’s License. This opened the door to make sailing a profession and Phil worked on charter sailboats in the Caribbean and Mediterranean and also made several trans-Atlantic crossings.

    Eventually Philip settled in Seattle where he worked for Sands Marine, a yacht maintenance business for twenty five years. He also delivered yachts up and down the west coast and to Hawaii, Canada and Mexico and continued to race various classes of sailboats. But for many years, he was the heart and soul of the crew of the Cookson 40, White Cloud. This led to Phil’s interest to serve on the Whidbey Island Race Week Advisory Board, given his passion to grow the sport of sailboat racing in the Pacific Northwest.

    Phil’s life touched so many people in the Seattle sailing and boating community and he will be greatly missed. If you do plan to attend Thursday’s gathering to honor Philip, please don’t wear black. Phil hated the color black. Shorts and regatta t-shirts would be fine.

    Phil’s family requests that, in lieu of flowers, donations should be made to the operating fund for the Race Committee at CYC Seattle in Philip’s memory, to support he sport he so loved.

  • 31 Oct 2014 3:17 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Fellow sailors will be gathering at CYC on Tuesday from 5-8pm, to mourn the loss of Jay Berglund, a longtime fixture in the Puget Sound sailing scene. Jay was tragically lost last Saturday during a race in Olympia.  Stop by, grab a beer, and share some memories about our friend that was taken to early. 

Thank you, Business Members!

Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle
7755 Seaview Ave NW 
Seattle WA 98117
(206) 789-1919

pre-2018 Web Archive
pre-2011 Web Archive

© 1945-2021

47° 41.14' N 122° 24.22' W

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software