The 2018 racing season is coming to an end, and it is time to consider the 2018 CYC outstanding performers. The Board will select the Award winners who will be announced at the Awards Party to be held in January 2019.
If you have a suggestion for a 2018 CYC Award, please provide it (with a brief bit of background explaining the basis for the nomination) to Ken Johnson, by email (email@example.com) or by mail:
3706 So. Ridgeway Place
Seattle, WA 98144.
Or you can drop them off at the CYC Shilshole office. Ken assembles the nominations and presents them to the Board for its decisions.
The Awards are:
- Honor Roll of Champions - CYC sailors who have won national or international championships or have achieved honors of an equivalent level.
- Hans Otto Giese Inspirational – one who has consistently provided leadership and inspiration to CYC and the amateur sailing community. Recent winners include Suzette Connolly, Jen Hobden, Geoff Pease and Michele Rogalin Henderson.
- Sailor of the Year – consistently races and places in the top tier of dinghy or keelboat races, including juniors; this award includes sailors who are outstanding crew or who sail on different boats throughout the season. Recent winners include Keith Whittemore (along with Brian Thomas, Kevin Downey, Shelby Milne and Mark Rodgers), Talia Toland, Carl Buchan and Fritz Lansinger.
- Boat of the Year – for an outstanding season in CYC and other NW races. Recent winners include Jubilee (Erik Kristen), Last Tango (Jim Geros), Tremendous Slouch (Scott Milne) and Ranger (Pat Schnirmer).
- Boating Family – an active family in racing, cruising, CYC activities, other sailing efforts.
- Recent winners include the the Cains, Sandersons, Buchans and Walgrens.
- Greig Memorial Cruising – cruising leadership and accomplishments, whether in local or blue waters. Recent winners include Scott and Kristen Meilicke, Jon and Michelle Henderson, Rich Jablonski and Elaine Cashar, and Ron and Peggy Watt.
- Gary Horder Memorial – CYC Junior with active and successful racing program. Recent winners include Abbie Carlson, Dieter Creitz, Talia Toland and Owen Timms.
- George Spalding Inspirational – most inspirational Junior sailor. Recent winners include Owen Timms, Jack Holbrook, Blake Bentzen and Abbie Carlson.
- Dog House – a sailor who handicaps him/her self by unseamanlike activity – usually some bad luck and hopefully with a bit of humor in it. Recent awardees include David Gallimore (stepping off YC6 and taking 2 steps, with only 1 step worth of dock), Mike McGuane (purposely going aground in Fisherman’s Bay followed by denial), and Lee Youngblood & Kathleen Davis (not achnoring on a Blakely Rocks cruise).