The 2017 racing season is coming to an end, and it is time to consider the 2017 CYC outstanding performers. The Board will select the Award winners who will be announced at the Awards Party to be held in January 2018.
If you have a suggestion for a 2017 CYC Award, please provide it (with a brief bit of background explaining the basis for the nomination) to Ken Johnson, or you can drop them off at the CYC Shilshole office. Ken assembles the nominations and presents them to the Board for its decisions.
The Awards are:
- Honor Roll of Champions - CYC sailors who have won national or international championships or have achieved honors of an equivalent level.
- Hans Otto Giese Inspirational – one who has consistently provided leadership and inspiration to CYC and the amateur sailing community. Recent winners include Jen Hobden, Geoff Pease, Michele Rogalin Henderson and Remmert Wolters.
- Sailor of the Year – consistently races and places in the top tier of dinghy or keelboat races, including juniors; this award includes sailors who are outstanding crew or who sail on different boats throughout the season. Recent winners include Talia Toland, Carl Buchan, Fritz Lansinger and Keith Whittemore.
- Boat of the Year – for an outstanding season in CYC and other NW races. Recent winners include Last Tango (Jim Geros), Tremendous Slouch (Scott Milne), Ranger (Pat Schnirmer), and Terremoto (Bill Weinstein).
- Boating Family – an active family in racing, cruising, CYC activities, other sailing efforts. Recent winners include the the Sandersons, Buchans, Walgrens and Creitzs.
- Greig Memorial Cruising – cruising leadership and accomplishments, whether in local or blue waters. Recent winners include Jon and Michelle Henderson, Rich Jablonski and Elaine Cashar, Ron and Peggy Watt, and Paul Baker and Suzette Connolly.
- Gary Horder Memorial – CYC Junior with active and successful racing program. Recent winners include Dieter Creitz, Talia Toland, Owen Timms and Julian Martin.
- George Spalding Inspirational – most inspirational Junior sailor. Recent winners include Jack Holbrook, Blake Bentzen, Abbie Carlson and Marcus Huttenen.
- Dog House – a sailor who handicaps him/her self by unseamanlike activity – usually some bad luck and hopefully with a bit of humor in it. Recent awardees include Mike McGuane (purposely going aground in Fisherman’s Bay followed by denial), Lee Youngblood & Kathleen Davis (not achnoring on a Blakely Rocks cruise), and Bruce Van Deventer and Bob Rinker (electric parking at PSSR).