The 2021 racing season is coming to an end, and it is time to consider the 2021 CYC outstanding performers. The Board will select the Award winners who will be announced at the Awards Party to be held in January 2022.
If you have a suggestion for a 2021 CYC Award, please provide it (with a brief bit of background explaining the basis for the nomination) to Ken Johnson, by email (email@example.com) or by mail:
3706 So. Ridgeway Place
Seattle, WA 98144
Or you can drop them off at the CYC Shilshole office. Ken assembles the nominations and presents them to the Board for its decisions.
The Awards are:
- Honor Roll of Champions - CYC sailors who have won national or international championships or have achieved honors of an equivalent level.
- Hans Otto Giese Inspirational – one who has consistently provided leadership and inspiration to CYC and the amateur sailing community. Recent winners include Wayne Balsiger, Shauna Walgren, Catherine Weatbrook, Suzette Connolly, and Jen Hobden.
- Sailor of the Year – consistently races and places in the top tier of dinghy or keelboat races, including juniors; this award includes sailors who are outstanding crew and/or who sail on different boats throughout the season. Recent winners include Dalton Bergan, Keith Whittemore (along with Brian Thomas, Kevin Downey, Shelby Milne and Mark Rodgers), Talia Toland, and Carl Buchan.
- Boat of the Year – for an outstanding season in CYC and other NW races. Recent winners include Here & Now, (Pat Denney), Jubilee (Erik Kristen), Last Tango (Jim Geros) and Tremendous Slouch (Scott Milne).
- Boating Family – an active family in racing, cruising, CYC activities, other sailing efforts. Recent winners include David Barnes & Karen Foster, Al &Jane Johnson, Mike & Julie Cains, Erik & Karrie Sandersons, and the Buchans.
- Greig Memorial Cruising – cruising leadership and accomplishments, whether in local or blue waters. Recent winners include Paul Benson & Erica Johnson, Chris Young, Scott and Kristen Meilicke, and Jon and Michelle Henderson.
- Gary Horder Memorial – CYC Junior with active and successful racing program. Recent winners include Erik Anderson, Dieter Creitz, Abbie Carlson, and Talia Toland.
- George Spalding Inspirational – most inspirational Junior sailor. Recent winners include Ella Reed, Alyosha Strum-Palerm, Owen Timms, and Jack Holbrook.
- Dog House – a sailor who handicaps him/her self by unseamanlike activity – usually some bad luck and hopefully with a bit of humor in it. Recent awardees include Robert Hodge (agrond on Marrowstone as all the CYC crusing boats sailed by), David Gallimore (stepping off YC6 and taking 2 steps, with only 1 step worth of dock), and Mike McGuane (purposely going aground in Fisherman’s Bay followed by denial).